Code of Conduct
The Company maintains and requires the highest ethical standards in carrying out its business activities and has policies in place for dealing with corruption, fraud and the use of inside information. The Company also has a whistle-blowing policy which is made available to all employees and contractors.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity
The Company promotes and supports the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain and hold employment without discrimination. It is our policy to make every effort to provide a working environment free from bullying, harassment, intimidation and discrimination on the basis of disability, nationality, race, sex, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
The Company aims to assist employees at all levels to improve their professional abilities and to develop their skills. This may take the form of on-the-job coaching, counselling or attendance at external courses or seminars.
Manpower and succession planning exists at corporate level to forecast the quantity and type of employee resources that will be required in the future. Individual career progression activities will be developed with this in mind. Annual appraisals are conducted which provide employees with the opportunity to consider past performance and to discuss their goals and aspirations for the short and medium-term.
All employees are eligible to participate in the Company's medical insurance scheme.
Staff security is an area of major importance. We carry out regular security reviews of those areas in which our staff work and travel and make special security provisions for staff in areas perceived to have a high security risk.
Joint Venture Partners, Contractors and Suppliers
The Company is committed to being honest and fair in all its dealings with its partners, contractors and suppliers. The terms of business used by the Company aim to provide clarity and protection, and to ensure the delivery and receipt of products and services at agreed standards. The Company also closely guards information entrusted to it by its joint venture partners, contractor and suppliers, and seeks to ensure that it is never used improperly.
Health, Safety, Security and Environment
Statement of Principle - Our Values and Objectives
Protection of the health and safety of our employees, contractors and the general public and the protection of the environment, are critical to the overall success of the Group. We also recognise the importance of contributing to the sustainable development of communities in which we work. We promote and encourage open communication and the involvement of employees and contractors in establishing healthy, safe and environmentally sound working practices.
Implementation - Our Expectations
We will endeavour to:
- Identify health, safety and environmental hazards arising from our business and security threats to our business and staff;
- Assess and manage associated risks, across the full lifecycle of our projects to ensure that risks are as low as reasonably practicable;
- Comply as a minimum with legislation and associated codes of practice and endeavour to improve on the performance standards they specify by adopting a risk-based approach to design, construction and operations of facilities;
- Implement appropriate health, safety and environment management systems;
- Introduce and maintain an active programme to develop security awareness and responsibility among all employees and contractors;
- Continually improve our health, safety and environmental performance so that work-related ill health and incidents are reduced and environmental emissions, waste and the use of energy are decreased relative to activity;
- Ensure that health, safety and environmental performance is the responsibility of all staff and involve and consult employees and, where appropriate, their representatives;
- Provide direction, training and, where appropriate, supervision to enable all staff to meet their responsibility to work safely and with due consideration to health;
- Develop and maintain effective contingency plans, where appropriate in conjunction with the authorities and emergency services;
- Through the proactive involvement of our management, encourage our contractors and partners to demonstrate the same level of commitment as the Group to continuous improvement in standards of health, safety and environmental performance;
- Make available appropriate resources to implement this policy; and
- Ensure compliance with this policy through a process of education, review and audit.
For more information on Bowleven's HSSE activity please see the latest Annual Report.